British council sensitise staff members on disability
The British Council took another initiative to include persons with disabilities in their agenda. In November 2015 The Employers’ Federation of Ceylon Network on Disability did another Employer Sensitization programme at the British Council. It was really encouraging to see how much they were interested in making it a place where everyone would like to visit with inclusion.
Staff members were trained on:
- Understanding disability
- Legislature & Policies for Persons with Disabilities in Sri lanka
- Interacting with Persons with Disabilities – “You & Your Customers with Disabilities”– Disability Etiquette, interaction with people who have specific impairments, disability terminology – acceptable and not acceptable words
- Access & Technical Specifications for built environments
- Disability Communication & Skills – “Inclusion in Your Organisation”
- Management Responsibility
- How to make the library accessible for all
The response was really good. Majority of the staff members agreed to implement most of the features recommended for them. In the near future the British Council team will make the British Council a place where everyone loves to visit with inclusion.
The workshop was conducted by Ms. ManiqueGunaratne.
1 Group photograph of the participants of staff members group 2.
2 Manique conducting the workshop.
3 Group photograph of the staff members group 1.
4 Participants at the workshop.
Executive Committee Member – Asian blind Union