Sri Lanka Foundation for the Rehabilitation of the Disabled (SLFRD) was founded on 27th July 1988 by a group of people with disabilities. The late Mr. Premadasa Dissanayake invited the participants and explained why person with disabilities should organize themselves in order to realize their rights. The main objective of SLFRD was to make the society aware of capabilities of people with disabilities and their rights and the need to support them to live independently and in dignity. The membership consists of all categories of disabilities. SLFRD is registered under the Ministry of Social Empowerment and Services as a Disabled People’s Organization.
On 22nd November1990 SLFRD took over Rehab Lanka at No. 5A, Khettarama Temple Road, Maligawatta started by Dr. Rienzi Peiris of Rotary Club of Colombo Metropolitan to provide vocational training to amputees discharged from hospitals. The takeover was negotiated by the then President Mr. Premadasa Dissanayake and Vice President Mr. Cyril Siriwardane supported by Mrs Swarna Ferdinand, Honorary Secretary of Colombo Friend-in-Need Society.
After taking over Rehab Lanka SLFRD started a workshop to provide employment to persons with disabilities. Initially five persons with disabilities who have completed vocational training were recruited. Items manufactured mainly were assistive devices needed by persons with disabilities. such as wheelchairs, tricycles, crutches etc. Other items such as hospital beds, trolleys, bedside cupboards, tables, chairs etc. were made.
At present SLFRD is engaged in the following:
Manufacturing of assistive devices for persons with disabilities.
Encourage young persons with disabilities to engage in sports through “Rehab Lanka Sports Club”.
Participating in diverse forums representing persons with disabilities and speaking for their rights.
The assistive devices produced are:
- Different types of Wheelchairs manufactured are given below. Different sizes are made to suit the user. All wheelchairs are sold with a cushion.
- Active wheelchairs – These are suitable for use in rural areas with rough terrain and sandy soil.
- Folding wheelchairs with removable armrests and adjustable footrests.
- Children’s wheelchairs with front table.
- Kiddie’s wheelchairs with removable armrests and adjustable footrests.
- Sports wheelchairs for basketball and wheelchair tennis.
- Supportive seating wheelchairs for children with cerebral palsy and similar disabilities.
- Commode wheelchairs.
- Easy Go Tricycles – These tricycles are easy, safe and comfortable to ride.
- Elbow and Axillary crutches made of aluminium or steel tubes.
- Walking Frames
- Standing Frames
Items such as metal racks, tables, chairs, beds cloth racks etc. are also manufactured according to orders received.
By purchasing items from SLFRD you will be helping people with disabilities working at SLFRD to live in dignity without depending on others.
The SLFRD had the Annual General Meeting in February 2019 and a new executive committee was selected.
Picture description for vision impaired persons:
Group photograph of the executive committee
Vice President – Sri Lanka Foundation of the Rehabilitation of the Disabled